Sardara is a rural village of about 5000 inhabitants situated in the Campidano area and well known for its baths.
Sardara still conserves considerable historical proof of its nuraghic, medieval past. Most evidence is visible in St. Gregory's church built in 1300. It's a mixture of Romanesque and gothic elements, represented by a slender fašade, a squared apse, a bell-tower and some beautiful sculptures.
The Assumption church is also in Romanesque-gothic style and dates back to the XV-XVI Centuries.
The smaller St. Anastasia church gave its name to the near-by nuraghic well-temple made of dark basalt and calcareous stone dating back to the X Century.
Another Nuraghe and nuraghic well in the spa area are once again evidence of the presence of proto-Sardinian settlements dating back to 1600 B.C. The spa building, called Neapolitane and situated in the Santa Maria resort, was constructed by the Romans. It includes 5 springs whose water temperature is between 50░ and 70░ C. It produces bicarbonate-alkaline mineral water. The mud is clayey and its colour is dark ash-grey. Besides hydrotherapy, there's a park on the spa's grounds where it's possible to go biking or play sports. It's open from April through November.
In the same area, the Monreale hill soars 268 m high and is the site of the homonymous castle's ruins. Once it was the Giudicato of Arborea's fortress and was recently restored. From here, you'll enjoy a beautiful view of the Campidano and of Oristano's gulf.